Persian rugs are timeless treasures that bring a warmth and character to almost any space. Their intricate designs, rich colours, and careful craftsmanship make them a focal point in interior design. However, styling a Persian rug effectively requires some thought and creativity. Let's explore tips and tricks on how to style a Persian rug like a designer, turning your house into a home.
Choose the Right Size and Placement:
- Ensure that the size of the rug is appropriate for the room. It should be large enough to anchor the space but not too big to overpower it. Have a read through our sizing guide.
- Place the rug in a way that complements the furniture arrangement. For example, in a living room, let the front legs of the seating area rest on the rug to create a cohesive look.
Featuring: ARLA Persian Heriz
Layering with Other Rugs:
- Experiment with layering by placing a smaller rug on top of a larger, neutral rug (such as a Jute rug). This can add depth and interest to the room while showcasing the beauty of the Persian rug. It is also a great tip if you have a smaller budget, as you can simply go for a smaller Persian rug and then frame the room with something inexpensive.
- Ensure that the patterns and colours of the layered rugs complement each other to avoid a cluttered look.
- Frame your Persian rug with furniture to create a defined space. For example, if you have an open plan space, select different rugs for the dining and living space, to help define functional zones.
- This framing technique not only highlights the rug but also gives a structured and intentional feel to the room.
Featuring: Julia Persian TabrizBalance Old and New:
- Mix traditional Persian rugs with simple furniture to create a balanced and eclectic look. This is especially relevant to using Vintage & Antique Persian rugs, as you want to create a current look, and keep simplicity in the rest of the elements, so it doesn't become a busy or clashing design.
- Experiment with different textures and materials in your furniture and decor to add depth and interest to the overall design.
- If the space you are placing the Persian rug in has ample Natural light, this will help guide you to certain designs and colours to fit in with that. You will also notice the colours and patterns will be enhanced in a light space. Equally, if you have a dark space, be drawn to something that will lift the room, whilst keeping it cosy.
- If you don't have natural lighting, ensure you create lighting in your room to help elevate the rug design. Always look at the room in lightness and darkness to ensure you like your rug in both ways.
Featuring: Kaito Persian Heriz
- Complement the Persian rug with accessories that resonate with its cultural significance. For example, add throw pillows, artwork, or ceramics that reflect the rug's origins.
- Keep the overall aesthetic in mind to avoid overwhelming the space with too many decorative elements.
Styling a Persian rug like a designer involves a careful balance of size, colour coordination, layering, and thoughtful accessorising. By following these tips, you can transform your space into a haven of sophistication, where the timeless beauty of a Persian rug takes centre stage. Let your creativity flow and enjoy the process of curating a space that reflects your unique style and appreciation for the artistry of Persian rugs.